In the blossoming world of cosmetic dentistry, teeth whitening reigns supreme. Universally valued by men and women alike, whitening (or bleaching) treatments are available to satisfy every budget, time frame and temperament.
Whether in the form of one-hour bleaching sessions at your dentist’s office, or home-use bleaching kits purchased at your local drugstore, teeth whitening solutions abound. Yet only 15 percent of the population has tried the cosmetic procedure, and misinformation on the subject is rife.
The long and the short of it is that teeth whitening works. Virtually everyone who opts for this cosmetic treatment will see moderate to substantial improvement in the brightness and whiteness of their smile. However, teeth whitening is not a permanent solution and requires maintenance or “touch-ups” for a prolonged effect.
Bleaching vs. Whitening
the term “bleaching” is permitted to be used only when the teeth can be whitened beyond their natural color. This applies strictly to products that contain bleach – typically hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide.
The term “whitening,” on the other hand, refers to restoring a tooth’s surface color by removing dirt and debris. So any product that cleans (like a toothpaste) is considered a whitener. Of course, the term whitening sounds better than bleaching, so it is more frequently used – even when describing products that contain bleach.
- At-Home Bleaching Tray – Dentists will take impression of patient mouth to make trays that fits their upper and lower teeth jaw. You will use the trays at home together with whitening gels our dental practice provide. You can buy the whitening gels from us or third party. Your teeth will gradually become whiter in 1-2 weeks afterwards.
- LED technology (Light Emitting Diode) – This traditional in-office teeth whitening is widely used for decades. It is proved to be very efficient method to whiten patient teeth and still being used worldwide by dental professionals. Using the curing light to activate bleaching gel such as Opalescence, Nite White, Day White, Nupro Gold or Achromasia for 2-3 times; 30 minutes each times. Your teeth will become whiter in 1-2 hours.
- Laser technology (Laser Diode) – Laser is used for Crown Lengthening, Gingivectomy, Sulcular Debridement, Tissue Retraction for Impression, Operculectomy, Implant recovery, this technology is also used in teeth whitening manners. It is enhancement technology from LED teeth whitening. Several reports reveal effective of laser in teeth whitening. So, it is extremely popular procedure recently. We use diode laser wave range 810 – 980 nm to active whitening gel. The results will be whiter and less sensitive than conventional LED method.
- Zoom® Whitening System – Zoom system emits light wave ranging of 350-400nm to activate inclusive patent gel to make teeth whiter. At Wassan Specilty Dental Center, Muscat we use the latest Zoom!2® whitening system, can whiten your teeth up to 7 shades lighter within one hour. This system is perfect for patients who are eager to see results right away or don’t have the time to dedicate to an at-home whitening system. The procedure is simple:
- First the teeth are isolated by applying a rubber dam or resin material to the gum to avoid the contact of whitening gel with soft tissue.
- Next a whitening gel is painted onto the teeth and then stirred every 5 minutes.
- Every 15-20 minutes the gel is rinsed off and reapplied with new material for up to an hour.